The Street > The Lounge

Pets thread.

<< < (78/109) > >>

Slagathore:
He's getting on now the old fella

Bunsincunsin:
So, I started building a 29 gallon vivarium to house a small group of poison dart frogs back in december.  I finished about mid/late January after getting everything planted, adding leaf litter and getting new lights.  The plants are all doing well, especially the peperomia.

Here's a shot of the tank from about a month ago:

Plant list:
Peperomia prostrata
Dischidia Bengalensis (wide leaf form)
Dischidia ruscifolia
Neoregelia "Sara Head"

Last week I purchased a group of three Phyllobates vittatus.  The guy I bought them from threw in a fourth frog since they were a little smaller than he usually likes to ship them.  They're about three months out of the water (morphing from a tadpole to a froglet).  They're pretty cool little guys and are actually considered an endangered species as they are endemic to only a small swath of land in Costa Rica (these guys are captive bred, though).  I've been feeding them springtails and D. melanogaster fruit flies.  Right now they're in a couple of temporary 2.5 gallon tanks (two per tank) untill they get a little bigger.  I'll try to get some better photos of them; they mainly hide out under the leaves and cork bark I have in there for them...

Here's a video of one eating some springtails: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaunathonjohnson/6796229864/in/set-72157629512301477/?likes_hd=1

dstrctn:
That's awesome. So what happens if you were to accidentally touch one?
Or you would have to rub your eyes or have an open cut of some sort to get the toxin in you?
Just curious.

Bunsincunsin:

--- Quote from: dstrctn;3535941 ---That's awesome. So what happens if you were to accidentally touch one?
Or you would have to rub your eyes or have an open cut of some sort to get the toxin in you?
Just curious.
--- End quote ---

They aren't poisonous in captivity.  Their poisons in the wild supposedly come from their diet; I think it's a certain type of beetle or ant they eat.  Since their diets in captivity are different from those in the wild they don't ptoduce the harmful toxins.  But, if you were to touch one in the wild the toxins would have to come in contact with with a cut, your eyes or your mouth like you suggested.

Hank Chinaski:
My new homie Grizz.  He's a black lab/Australian cattle dog mix but neither parent were purebred.  Right around 8 weeks old in these, maybe 9 weeks old now.  He's been the best puppy I've ever dealt with.  Still have to wait a little bit to take him to all the fun dog places around town but we've been doing lots of exploring in the parks and in the woods.  He's going to be such a panty dropper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version