The Street > The Bike Shop

Dennis Enarson Cranks

<< < (6/9) > >>

Dr. Steve Brule:

locomotive:

--- Quote from: dude... on October 13, 2014, 04:17:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: G on October 12, 2014, 11:43:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: dude... on October 12, 2014, 04:09:38 AM ---splines are still splines. that said my dirt cheap eclat cranks (whatever the first style ones are called) havent wobbled yet so maybe the larger spindle works better.

its pretty mad that so many companies keep trying to tweak the splined crank interface slightly to make them easier to install and remove when theres this magic stuff called "grease" which is easily available and already does just that.
its also real versatile, you can even use it on other parts of your bike which might get seized! imagine that...

--- End quote ---

So if you were designing splined cranks how would you set the fit?

Standard good engineering practice calls for a slight interference (hole smaller than axle) to prevent looseness and wear.
Easy assembly and disassembly calls for a slightly loose fit (hole larger than axle) to allow the axle to slide easily in and out.

You cannot have both and grease will only do so much to ease assembly and disassembly and of course on top of this you need to allow a tolerance....

Having said this, I am obviously not going to defend a design that saws slits into something as highly stressed as this where the slits nobviously massively reduce the torsional strength.

:)
G.

PS nobviously was a typo but too good to "correct"

--- End quote ---

well for starters if i was designing cranks i wouldnt use splines. having to ensure a tight enough fit, yet still allowing enough movement to allow them to be removed is exactly why its a shit design. either they wobble all the time or theyre so tight you have to cut them off.

--- End quote ---

Man you are pissing in the wind. First you say how awesome your cheap eclats are and that all they need is grease to make them fit and work better, now you say the whole design is shit.

--- Quote from: Dr. Steve Brule on October 13, 2014, 11:54:36 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I like primo cranks for the strength, but man it took me so long to get use to the boxiness of them. Always smashing into the navicular bone. I think thats the part of the foot, only relying on a quick good search 

MEAT:
Woah, is this a bg exclusive or am I just miles behind the times? They look like a real improvement.

In reference to the primos that is...

KillSeth:
I've never seen those Powerbites before either.

TheMerged:

--- Quote from: MEAT on October 13, 2014, 12:24:33 PM ---Woah, is this a bg exclusive or am I just miles behind the times? They look like a real improvement.

In reference to the primos that is...

--- End quote ---

http://themerged.com/spotted-primo-2pc-powerbite-crank/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version