The Street > The Lounge

"NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"

<< < (5/22) > >>

joelite44:

--- Quote from: mattywatty on January 04, 2015, 04:24:11 AM ---No doubt Nigel has basically taken the Edwin style and progressed it significantly, and I respect what he can do on a bike, but the whole attempted celebrity thing is kind of awkward/ cringe-worthy to watch.

--- End quote ---

he's basically trying to be the edwin delarosa reinassence. Nigel might be trying to cop some of the steez edwin managed to earn back in 2003 whilst wearing dunks and making them ridin worthy and popular. those shits dont grip tho!

http://animalbikes.com/reminisce-edwin-de-la-rosa-animal-1/

ImNick:
he rides faster than most of the dudes doing 1mph ledge combos these days.

MilkyWilky:

--- Quote from: locomotive on January 04, 2015, 08:08:46 AM ---Ive heard people not buy G-shocks after finding out nigel was sponsored by them.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't that just seem ridiculous.

I guess we'll never understand how hard it is to be a celeb. I think it is kind of ironic, because even if he wasn't fitting in in BMX, he has a pretty high degree of homogeneity with the zeitgeist.

peggiesmalls:
Think it hilarious that he has sellout sponsors but still supports Brooklyn machine works 

condrbkr:

--- Quote from: LeonLikesToRock on January 04, 2015, 02:49:33 AM ---The thing I don't get is that he is saying that he isn't a typical BMXer? I don't quite get that. Does he mean he doesn't look like the vert riders that pushed the sport into the main stream (Hoffman and Mirra) or that he doesn't look like a typical street rider? I get it if he is going for the latter but I'm pretty sure 'dude from the East Coast with pegs and no brakes' is the image of a street rider and has been for years.

--- End quote ---

I think what he means by that is that he doesn't fit the typical career path of a BMX biker. He's not putting out web edits quad-annually for his sponsors, he's not doing trip videos outside of Nike, but that's Nike..., he's not climbing up the standard BMX industry ladder and more power to him.

If he wants to market what he's good at to get something out of it other than bumming on people's couches and inevitably needing to find a different career path at the age of 30, is that really not understandable? The standard BMX lifestyle is great but it's not for everyone and that doesn't make him less of rider because of so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version