The Street > The Lounge

"NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"

<< < (9/22) > >>

condrbkr:

--- Quote from: ImNick on January 05, 2015, 11:41:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: locomotive on January 05, 2015, 08:36:23 AM ---If that's the face of bmx, I am truly ashamed to ride a little bike. I obviously still love it and will continue to do so, but I am worried about the future of bmx. That is all.

--- End quote ---

Right now, I'm sure when most people think of BMX, I'm sure they think xgames or the mega ramp. I'm sure that accurately describes every street rider...
BMX will still be BMX. When someone sees Nigel ride down the road, I'm sure people think "oh that's terrible" when you can go watch Colt Fake have beer poured in his mouth as he tries to pull some girls bra off or Sean Burns drop his bike on some bums head. Though Nigel isn't the best rider or dress as ratty as most bmx riders, he is more of a street rider than most bmx riders that have had any mainstream recognition before.

Nigel, getting some recognition outside of BMX isn't going to change the sport because a few more kids might be at the park than usual and maybe only one of them might actually stick with it. And I hardly doubt it will give it an image worse than what it could be. Honestly, how is that any different than now? Most kids that rode around here quit after 2-3 years.

You can say Bam didn't do shit for skating because he didn't dump all his money back into the sport. But the fact that he happened, didn't change skateboarding forever. It just got idiot kids, who think doing rad, stupid shit is fun(basically the basis of bmx), to go buy an Element board. And indirectly put some money into the skateboarding industry.

--- End quote ---

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMqm0BtE8w How can you not say he's not good!?

Cole:
Can't hate on the dude for getting his nut. He's still not as bad as Adam22.

Finn the Human:
Gatorade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fST58M7Uwhs they really get whats going in my body

KillSeth:

--- Quote from: Cole on January 05, 2015, 01:49:32 PM ---Can't hate on the dude for getting his nut. He's still not as bad as Adam22.

--- End quote ---

This.

I agree that the dude doesn't seem to be very impressive from a modern riding standpoint, but I'm not particularly bothered by his success.

MilkyWilky:

--- Quote from: Cole on January 05, 2015, 01:49:32 PM ---Can't hate on the dude for getting his nut. He's still not as bad as Adam22.

--- End quote ---

Well put.
It's not fair to bunch big companies like G, Casio and Nike putting some money into BMX as 'sellout companies', nor put someone down for putting in whatever was necessary to get those deals. I'm sure the dude probably makes slightly above OK money (real world dollars, not BMX bucks), even with all the brands behind him.

I think BMX is still always going to be about acting how you want with some other freaks, sure don't see kids riding on BMW bikes. Anyways, if they want to act like Nigel or whatever, than by the very ethos of BMX, that's well within their right. Not everyone who rides can fall into the atypical BMX dude category (pissing on eachother, etc)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version