The Street > The Lounge

"NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"

<< < (11/22) > >>

DontcallmeKenneth:
Then quit. If this one individual discusts you to the point where you feel the need to quit then youre obviously not into bmx to begin with. You are more worried about an image that you dont have to have. Log off ride and come back in a few months and tell me how much nigel sylvester has ruined your bmx experience.

condrbkr:
I imagine running a core company is an expensive endeavor, especially when you are trying to manufacture a fairly expensive thing like bike parts as a cheap as possible cause your marketing to kids. If more corporate sponsors invest in BMX(even if it's for a short time) and it will open up the market to more consumers who would have otherwise never been introduced to it. Sure a lot of those kids will quit but if you open up a larger pool than there will be more people that will stick with it. I speculate that the larger pool of kids who stick with it will naturally move on to the core brands cause they dominate aftermarket parts. Which is good for everyone.   

You don't have to be a part of anything as long as you enjoy the act of pedaling on a bike and doing maneuvers. There will always be brands that keep us grounded in our roots but for BMX to expand and better take care of our community it has to reach out.

I think bike riding is the coolest thing and it'd be cool if other kids could get that chance. I imagine a lot of us came to riding because of commercialization through X-Games, Rad, or what not. I did through TV, it's not like I'm still paying for Walmart brands anymore. Of course bigger companies like Nike will end up cannibalizing a large share of the market but that can't be helped unless it grows to a point where they are forced to take the general opinion seriously.

locomotive:

--- Quote from: Trap Miguel on January 06, 2015, 06:44:13 PM ---Dude if other riders are more deserving of "HiS" success then why dont they do it? Its not up to him to make sure other people get paid like him. He made the right moves for himself. Garrett made the right moves for himself. All the really succes or non struggling riders made moves to better their lives while riding and nigel gets shit for it because hes not some ratty looking kid that goes to contests and puts out edits every week?
But he dresses nice so he isnt really a real rider?

--- End quote ---

He doesn't go to contests because he will get exposed to his sponsors.

He DOES put out edits every week, and they meh.

He does't dress nice, he dresses like a "swagfag". You like that Pyradice shit?

Plus, i never said you need to look ratty to be considered a real rider. All I was trying to illustrate is that people usually dress accordingly to the activity they are doing, getting all "swaggy" to ride a little kids bike that you're likely going to fall off on is stupid. It just gives kids the wrong impression of what bmx is really like. He can allow himself to do that only because of his sponsors, but kids can't. Plus he also gives kids false hope of making any real money from bmx, because most pros are getting payed peanuts.

--- Quote from: condrbkr on January 06, 2015, 08:05:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: locomotive on January 06, 2015, 04:59:51 PM ---I just feel like other riders  should be getting his type of money if not more. He stopped progressing and is just milking it.
--- End quote ---

At least He's put out multiple stellar sections, all showing a lot progression from the one before it, sure it's mostly barspin but that's his distinct style.

--- End quote ---

Cant agree with you there. If anything he got worse, and now he is doing self ABDs for different videos. His style is not distinct, it is a copy of Edwin.

DontcallmeKenneth:

--- Quote from: locomotive on January 07, 2015, 12:02:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: Trap Miguel on January 06, 2015, 06:44:13 PM ---Dude if other riders are more deserving of "HiS" success then why dont they do it? Its not up to him to make sure other people get paid like him. He made the right moves for himself. Garrett made the right moves for himself. All the really succes or non struggling riders made moves to better their lives while riding and nigel gets shit for it because hes not some ratty looking kid that goes to contests and puts out edits every week?

--- End quote ---

He wont get dropped for not placing first which has been proven by other riders like dak who is really good bit doesnt win all the time.

I was talking out of my ass on that one. I.honestly dont know what he puts out and i hardly watch edits online anymore.

Yes i do. But i like simple stuff. And to me he doesnt dress like a swagfag. Until he is sagging skinny jeans with basket ball shorts underneath with a small size designer shirt and large belt buckle no he isnt a swagfag. He is from nyc his style is very ny. Ralphy ramos, edwin, tyrone, a lot of nyc riders have a style due to the surroundings. Its part of the lifestyle out there. And kids can afford dunks levis and a tshirt or jacket or hoody.

Plus, i never said you need to look ratty to be considered a real rider. All I was trying to illustrate is that people usually dress accordingly to the activity they are doing, getting all "swaggy" to ride a little kids bike that you're likely going to fall off on is stupid. It just gives kids the wrong impression of what bmx is really like. He can allow himself to do that only because of his sponsors, but kids can't. Plus he also gives kids false hope of making any real money from bmx, because most pros are getting payed peanuts.

Again this is part of his lifestyle probably before he even got big. As i said its a NYC type of thing. If you have ever been its an experience you must witness first hand without doing the tourist thing. Also isnt being different what makes bmx awesome? or according to you bad for the scene. Its the bike that makes us a community not our style. Trust me i didnt look like a bmx rider when i was a kid, but when i rode trails with people it was a shock.
Also if a kid wants.to.get famous let.him try thats his buisness its not.up to us to shoot his hopes of.riding.for.his favorite company down. Thats that salt talking you need to chill a little.

--- Quote from: locomotive on January 06, 2015, 04:59:51 PM ---I just feel like other riders  should be getting his type of money if not more. He stopped progressing and is just milking it.
--- End quote ---

At least He's put out multiple stellar sections, all showing a lot progression from the one before it, sure it's mostly barspin but that's his distinct style.

--- End quote ---

Cant agree with you there. If anything he got worse, and now he is doing self ABDs for different videos. His style is not distinct, it is a copy of Edwin.

--- End quote ---
Lighten up.

locomotive:

--- Quote from: Trap Miguel on January 07, 2015, 02:17:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: locomotive on January 07, 2015, 12:02:08 AM ---

--- End quote ---

He wont get dropped for not placing first which has been proven by other riders like dak who is really good bit doesnt win all the time.

I was talking out of my ass on that one. I.honestly dont know what he puts out and i hardly watch edits online anymore.

Yes i do. But i like simple stuff. And to me he doesnt dress like a swagfag. Until he is sagging skinny jeans with basket ball shorts underneath with a small size designer shirt and large belt buckle no he isnt a swagfag. He is from nyc his style is very ny. Ralphy ramos, edwin, tyrone, a lot of nyc riders have a style due to the surroundings. Its part of the lifestyle out there. And kids can afford dunks levis and a tshirt or jacket or hoody.

Again this is part of his lifestyle probably before he even got big. As i said its a NYC type of thing. If you have ever been its an experience you must witness first hand without doing the tourist thing. Also isnt being different what makes bmx awesome? or according to you bad for the scene. Its the bike that makes us a community not our style. Trust me i didnt look like a bmx rider when i was a kid, but when i rode trails with people it was a shock.
Also if a kid wants.to.get famous let.him try thats his buisness its not.up to us to shoot his hopes of.riding.for.his favorite company down. Thats that salt talking you need to chill a little.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Lighten up.

--- End quote ---

Im fine, good for him for making it. I don't have any ill will on him, I'm just very opinionated and maybe I need to work on how I express it without sounding angry or w.e. It's just the way i truly feel, and have felt for a while. This thread allowed me to let it all out, plus typing can be fun sometimes. I could have simply just said he is overrated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version