The Street > The Lounge

"NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"

<< < (12/22) > >>

ImNick:

--- Quote from: Brooklynrider on January 06, 2015, 08:21:58 PM ---If this is the future of bmx then I don't want to be a part of it. BMX does not need to be commercialized any more than it is. We don't need more skateparks or our sport to be in the spotlight, we need more companies that give a shit about us rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure every skater quite riding when Bam or Ryan Sheckler got a TV show. I'm sure every snowboarder quit riding after Shawn White got a clothing line at Target.

Quit being upset and realize that companies might be able to care about riders more if they have a little more money.
Or just quit riding, because I'm sure no one would care if you did.

locomotive:

--- Quote from: ImNick on January 07, 2015, 11:02:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Brooklynrider on January 06, 2015, 08:21:58 PM ---If this is the future of bmx then I don't want to be a part of it. BMX does not need to be commercialized any more than it is. We don't need more skateparks or our sport to be in the spotlight, we need more companies that give a shit about us rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure every skater quite riding when Bam or Ryan Sheckler got a TV show. I'm sure every snowboarder quit riding after Shawn White got a clothing line at Target.

Quit being upset and realize that companies might be able to care about riders more if they have a little more money.

--- End quote ---

Shawn White and Ryan Sheckler shouldn't be compared in this discussion, but you are right to include Bam.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070712142847AAJajbH
/\/\/\
This about sums up this whole thread, but instead of Bam it's Nigel. Nigel isn't as crazy of a personality as Bam, but look what's happening to the skateboarding industry these-days. Trying to make an alternative sport main stream is more than likely to fail. In other words, we will all just have to wait this Nigel wave out, whether we like it or not.

Cole:

--- Quote from: ImNick on January 07, 2015, 11:02:34 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Would like to green box you for this.

No one is forcing you to participate Brooklyn. If one dude trying to make a name for himself bums you out that much that you're going to have a temper tantrum and stop riding, go for it.

condrbkr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHnJK8S3nE

Brooklynrider:
My comment was more of a reply to Condorbkr's comment before mine, not necessarily to Nigel's riding. I also didn't say I wanted to quit because of Nigel, which is kind of outrageous and I'm not sure why everyone thought that's what I meant. I do believe BMX needs to evolve but definitely not in that direction. I'm still just as hyped on bmx as I was the first day I started riding but I just completely gave up on following what is going on in bmx. There definitely are several companies out there that are doing the right thing and riders that are doing real riding that deserve recognition but simply aren't getting it. Odyssey constantly pushes new technology into bmx yet everyone is infinitely more hyped on a new shadow chain simply because it looks cool and Shadow claims it is "the strongest chain on the market". Obviously since bikes have gotten lighter, younger kids will be able to participate in the sport but it seems that it is now only mindless 15 year olds and companies know that. It has become extremely rare to actually find a company or a rider that cares about the sport and not what puts more money into their pockets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version