The Street > The Lounge

"NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"

<< < (17/22) > >>

streetStreet:
That article is stupid and this thread is dumb.

BMX has always been about looking cool and trying to reach skateboard cultural status, that's failed.

Steven Murray is rolling in his grave.

barcodebilly:
He's still alive you shithead ha^

dude...:
first part is live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHnJK8S3nE

--- Quote --- Im a complete anomaly in the sport, i dont compete and im truly doing it my own way, like im not following....what the traditional bmx route is
--- End quote ---

Yep cos everyone else in bmx is only in it to win, and noone else rides street or ever has before

i dont care whether or not he deserves the money fame etc, it just annoys me that he acts like hes really different from other bmxers and special and yet all the experiences he talks about from when he was younger are basically typical of everyone when they start riding as a teen. poppin wheelies on the way back from school, riding a 2 set cos you didnt have a skatepark, getting excited when you saw another rider, finding a haven in riding a bike, sorry but id wager thats like 90% of riders experiences.

but he makes out like he was the only one who had to go through that, and then presents it to a non bmx audience implying everyone else is only in it to win (even though he says his childhood hero was dave mirra).

and then he drops the race card, i mean, come on. yes bmx is predominantly white dudes, but does that even mean anything? as far as i can tell (and i would seriously hope this is the case at an industry level too) that race/ethnicity has absolutely fuck all to do with who "makes it" in bmx-its about ability and attitude, and who you are as a person.
the fact that he made out like his ethnicity made it harder for him i would say is bullshit. nigel started getting attention in the wider bmx sphere around 05-06 (when he had a split section on all day with blackman) which considering edwin was at his peak of popularity then (there were plenty of white edwin wannabees), you could say there was no better time to be a talented up and coming black street rider from the hood in new york.
he was really dialled as a rider from the start though, and being in the right place at the right time, i reckon someone with his skills would have got noticed irrespective of race or ethnicity

noone can ever truly appreciate what another person has had to go through, experience, their struggles etc, but to me what he says just doesnt quite add up. it annoys me a bit that he would present himself this way to non bmxers making out like everyone else has had it easy

but whatever, his attitude and his claims kind of annoyed because i dont really agree with some of what hes saying me so i wanted to discuss it

he did do a sweet double crankflip though, and yeah as a rider he is really good. id just rather see straight up riding than clips interspersed with his chatting

Prodigal Son:
I wish he rode for cult.

Kinchy:

--- Quote from: streetStreet on January 08, 2015, 05:53:02 PM ---
Steven Murray is rolling in his grave.

--- End quote ---

Erm....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version