The Street > The Lounge

Frame Features /Strength

<< < (4/11) > >>

Cellmember:

--- Quote from: dude... on February 17, 2015, 11:22:04 PM ---lairds got some nice welds going on but he seems like a bit of a tripper, especially if hes telling you plate bridges are stronger than tube ones.

i heard wishbones being more twisty is true though, but i guess it depends on the specific dimensions and stuff cos sunday frames

--- End quote ---

Like I said I can't see a plate being better suited instead of tubing for the bridges.

Really, I wouldn't have imagined that, but it could be a possibility, I can definitely notice the difference between a wishbone rear end and a A and S bend, the wish bone feels much much stiffer.

--- Quote from: Professor Horatio Hufnagel on February 18, 2015, 12:08:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: Cellmember on February 17, 2015, 06:00:41 PM ---I was told that A: a wishbone rear end is not a strong as a A or S bend stays and B that round tubing for the SS/CS bridges are weaker than a plate. O_o

--- End quote ---

Whoever told you this, I would completely ignore in future

--- End quote ---

Yeah I'll mostly pass on this particular builder as it looks like he's not interested in doing what I'm after any ways.

--- Quote from: Brooklynrider on February 18, 2015, 12:21:41 AM ---I've heard from several reputable sources that wishbones greatly strengthen a frame. Not sure about the whole plate/tube argument but tube should take forces better and be lighter. If you want to build a strong and stiff frame, I'd opt for something with large diameter tubes, gussets, a wishbone (or two), and non-micro dropouts for more weld contact area. Basically build a sunday.

--- End quote ---

For sure, that all makes sense, and is basically what I'm doing.

--- Quote from: JFax on February 18, 2015, 02:28:14 AM ---If Im not mistaken Mr. French made an article somewhere stating that wishbones are stronger.

I wonder if 3D printed frames could become a thing.

--- End quote ---

I'll have to do a quick search and find the article, I'd like to read up on that. Always interesting to see G's input.

I'd like to see a 3D printed frame definitely curious, one day...

--- Quote from: master on February 17, 2015, 09:45:51 PM ---So he is basically saying that some of the strongest frames over the last 15 years... are now the weakest? I'll take wishbones and tube bridges thank you very much.

Maybe you should find a new frame builder.

--- End quote ---

Yep, so would I.

That's what I'll be doing.

GUMP_:
Just get a custom AoD and be done. Cause wishbones

Or Dave at pedal driven he was pretty good to talk to before when I was looking at a custom from him

master:

--- Quote from: dude... on February 18, 2015, 01:26:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: master on February 17, 2015, 11:40:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: dude... on February 17, 2015, 11:22:04 PM ---i heard wishbones being more twisty is true though, but i guess it depends on the specific dimensions and stuff cos sunday frames

--- End quote ---

Bro, do you even Barcode? :D

--- End quote ---

nah brah, not trails enough. im awaiting delivery of an AOD though in all its wishboney goodness

--- End quote ---

I'll allow it. I love how the new AODs remind me of an S&M Bennett. Drooooollllll.....

KillSeth:
I've been curious what Laird's take was about wishbones and tube braces, now I know. That being said, I think that what he is doing looks really great.

master:
I just looked at this Laird guys site...

What I saw: Generic designs, decent quality (I've seen better), cheesy laser cut plate bridges, and welded seat clamps on everything. No thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version