The Street > The Lounge

Death penalty (re; Bali 9 executions)

(1/11) > >>

ginger:
So some of you may know that we've got a couple of lads about to face the firing squad in Indonesia for trying to smuggle heroin through the country and into Australia. Big uproar here at the moment, even the conservative nutjobs are trying to save them. Doesn't look like it is going to change much now, I think the time for negotiating is over and our PM is such a twat that Indonesia will probably off these boys as a big "fuck you" to Abbott.

Anyway, thoughts on the death penalty? If you have any thoughts on this specific case, let me hear them.

This whole ordeal has changed my way of thinking about the death penalty...

barcodebilly:
I have know knowledge of this case but it seems pretty primitive over drug smuggling.

ginger:
It's Indonesia, they're not exactly the frontrunner on the list of progressive societies.

master:
For something like this, no reason to off them.

For a child molester, rapist, murderer, etc, those fucked up humans need to be removed from the gene pool.

Cole:
Interesting topic here. Haven't heard too much about it. Will look into it in the morning.

However, my thoughts on the death penalty: Simply put, it doesn't work. Using the US as an example, recidivism rates are higher in states which do have the death penalty which goes to show it doesn't do much to deter crimes. Strictly speaking from statistics, I'd rather see it done away with completely and have more money dumped into rehabilitating (probably not the right word to use in this instance, but whatever) offenders, getting them further education and real life skills to help set them up for when their time has been served. From a more personal, emotional side of things, there are certain crimes where I'd love to see the death penalty. Things like sex offences, pedophiles, etc. I realize there are other factors there, and it's more of a psychiatric thing, but again, emotions cloud logic when I hear about that in the news.

More specific to this case, I see it on both sides of the coin. And I'm assuming extradition isn't applicable in this scenario? For the first viewpoint, the crime was committed in a foreign country, so in a way, the country has somewhat of a right to sentence them. However, I feel like it's always better to have their home country be the ones who administer the justice. However, it seems like there's not a shot in hell that's going to happen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version