The Street > The Lounge

New Random Thoughts Thread

<< < (153/179) > >>

Liam:

--- Quote from: condrbkr on February 16, 2016, 07:50:33 PM ---I don't get why British people use zed. It don't sound right at all.

--- End quote ---

Neither does 'zee' though. The pronunciation of letters doesn't particularly matter, as there's no real relation to their actual sounds when used in words. The advantage I can see with using 'zed' is that the letters c and z can't be confused when spelling something aloud. 'See'(c) and 'zee'(z) are almost completely indistinguishable when I say them, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with my accent/voice. Is that the case in most American accents as well?

Using 'zer' instead of either would make a lot more sense.

ginger:
Zoltan.

Prodigal Son:
I made a joke last night about a group of women deciding what can be done with Scalia's body and my brother's wife liberal wife started saying: "not now okay? that's not funny, it's not smart, this is why I deleted you from Facebook!"

Wish I would've told her: "at least you're giving me a choice..."

condrbkr:
All I have to say is that I was watching a BBC documentary and the British fellow was explaining something like 'it's as simple as (x)ex, (y)why, (z)zed." and I'm like whoa that sounds weird.

montymitch:

--- Quote from: condrbkr on February 18, 2016, 04:07:22 AM ---All I have to say is that I was watching a BBC documentary and the British fellow was explaining something like 'it's as simple as (x)ex, (y)why, (z)zed." and I'm like whoa that sounds weird.

--- End quote ---
I spent some time in Australia and while I was there I volunteered to in an elementary school. The kids thought it was strange that I corrected how they should say 'h' and 'z.'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version