The Street > The Lounge

landlord issues/renovations to my apartment (help)??

(1/5) > >>

sans.terre:
Hey gang,

Maybe some of you have had issues here? i'm in Ontario if that makes a diff.
I've been away for a few months and come back to my place to find the landlord has torn the washroom out. There's construction shit everywhere. Drywall plaster on all our dishes, etc. Kitchen is unusable, there's no shower or sink or toilet.

Paid full months rent. What are my rights here?

I've got to be fit/ready for work in the morning and fucker is in here sawing ceramic tiles in my kitchen.
Wtf? Does anyone have experience with this?

What actions do i take? Wrote landlord. She said "sorry. it needed to be done"

Sebastian:
Same situation happened to my girl and I when our new apartment was still being renovated when we moved in.  Landlord (whom I'd already known for awhile, i.e., it was very easy to work something out) waived our rent for the first month.  I'd not settle for anything less than that.

I have no idea what your course of action would be in the case that she doesn't agree to that, however, since I don't live in Canada.

Cole:
They should have notified you that the reno's were going to happen on x date for y long. Not entirely sure what your possible options are, but dig through the Landlord-Tenant Act and see if it mentions anything. Failing that, call the Landlord-Tenant Board.

Zoidberg:
Check your contract first but it seems like a massive invasion of privacy plus I THINK landlords need to give 24 hours notice minimum if they want to swing by.

Check your contract tho.

Kinchy:
If you've been away for a few months, perhaps they tried to contact you already?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version