The Street > The Lounge

Motorcycle Thread V2.0

(1/10) > >>

Aesop Rock:
So, my shit got hit last week and I'm hating life waiting for insurance to come through. Not sure if it's a total loss or not, but based on the fact that it's 40 years old and was a two year bike I'm guessing that they're gonna write it off. Now my next big decision to make is what to get next. I keep going back and forth between these two.

[/URL]

or

Radically different bikes, each with their own pros and cons. Thoughts gents? Also, lolz

http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

master:
Ducati all the way, especially if you buy used. If you don't like it you can make your money back easily.

G:
Out of those two Ducati. I wouldn't even consider a fricking Harley. But obviously depends what you want to do with it. If I lived in the US I would want a 400-700cc Dual Sport, the idea of exploring huge areas of off-road wilderness sounds amazing to me.

In the UK its different, we dont have any significant off-road opportunities like that and the bike test itself is a huge hassle. I have been riding on a very restricted licence for the last 2 years which limits me to a 125, about to do the full test which consists of:-

1. CBT, one (soon to be two) day of training to make sure you can ride, this lets you ride a 125 with L plates.
2. Theory test (50 multiple choice questions), followed by video hazard perception test. (about $50) (booked for next week)
3. Module 1 Test. Carried out on a closed practice ground. (about $30 for the actual test, but you typically need a couple of days practice and bike rental so about another $400-$600)
4. Module 2 Test. Carried out on public streets. (about $120 for the test itself but as above for practice and bike so another $400-600)

Likely to be well over $1000 all in...

All this is even though I have been driving a car for 20 plus years...

:(
G.

barcodebilly:

--- Quote from: Aesop Rock on April 07, 2015, 04:20:12 PM ---
http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

--- End quote ---
Did you get a feature on there yet? ha  :P

powell:
I currently have several sportsters sitting in my garage and actually just sold a 2011 monster 1100 on Monday. For everyday riding i'd pick the sportster every time, its less finicky, starts every time and was significantly more comfortable. Though (obviously) the monster was a much more capable machine it wasn't as nice to ride. They are loud (Dry clutch chatter), hard to comfortably ride around town (they want to be ridden hard) no ,where near as reliable and the service is very expensive and requires special tools to do. Unless you really plan to ride it hard a ton, id buy a sportster ,thruxton, newer Bonneville or a new cb1100 if your looking for something in a retro cruiser styling. If your considering the ducati seriously be cafeful of what years you look at they have some fucky issues, and id only buy one with full service records.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version