The Street > The Lounge

General election

<< < (8/24) > >>

G:

--- Quote from: LukeTom on May 01, 2015, 04:15:09 AM ---I see it more as saving money within the NHS and saving money on welfare support. It should never be better to stay on benefits than go into work. Living in London I don't want to vote labour because of the 'mansion tax' which is basic a tax on London. The conservatives have done a pretty good job here. And since London taxes prop up the rest of the UK economy, a recovery in London is what is most important.

--- End quote ---

So your house in London is worth over TWO MILLION QUID but you cant afford an extra £250 a month?
A huge proportion of London properties worth over £2M are owned by non-doms, shell corporations, super rich immigrants or people who dont even live in London full time, and this has a knock on effect on London house prices as a whole. The number of "little old ladies" who have lived in London since they were very small and now happen to find themselves in this situation is close to zero.
If you knew anyone who worked in the NHS or the ambulance service or education you wouldn't think that they are safe under the Tories.

"London taxes" by which I assume you mean "UK taxes paid by companies and individuals who are based in London" may well prop up the UK as a whole, but this is the same for any capital city. London isn't an island and those businesses are in turn "propped up" by the rest of the UK in terms of trivial things like food, water, electricity, workers, customers, tourists etc Not to mention when the huge London (and other major world city based) banking businesses had to be "propped up" by the country-bumpkins of the world when THEY (not the Labour party) FUCKED THE WORLD ECONOMY RIGHT IN ITS COLLECTIVE ARSEHOLE SO THAT THEY COULD BUY A NEW FERRARI !!!!!!   

What really caused the economic disaster of 2008? Terrible corrupt lending practices, market manipulation, profiteering, junk bond manufacturing etc by bankers around the world who weren't properly regulated. What has the coalition government done to protect us from a repeat of this? Fuck all really.

What we need is:-
1. an end to  crippling austerity (not more and deeper)
2. A Tobin tax (not just to raise money but to stabilise markets).
3. Investment in REAL wealth creating industries and innovation (not money shuffling hedge funds that just make things worse).
4. Proper bank regulation with a real risk of jail for people who cause these issues.

Are any of the parties offering this? No. But the Tories are the worst, so vote AGAINST them!

:)
G.

LukeTom:
Yes, I do live in a house worth over £2m, but no, we cant afford another 3 grand a year. House prices in London have gone through the roof people took out large mortgages on properties which further went up in value, they are not buying new Ferraris their disposable income is not huge. 80% of these properties affected are in London, who are already paying for 40%+ of the UKs GDP. I would think differently if you taxed homes over £4/5m (this would still tax non-doms, shell corporations, super rich immigrants) , but honestly £2m is too low and you are encompassing average people in the three grand a year tax increase who cant afford it.

Kinchy:
£2m house =/= average person

carnage:

--- Quote from: LukeTom on May 01, 2015, 06:49:07 AM ---Yes, I do live in a house worth over £2m, but no, we cant afford another 3 grand a year.

--- End quote ---

Poor and disabled people are paying 1/2 that 3 grand in bedroom tax to stay in their homes out of 70/week.

How would you feel about moving to another area like you'd be voting for them if you really couldn't pay?

LukeTom:
We already pay the 40% tax rate, that almost half of what you earn goes to the government about 30k. We already pay stamp duty when we sell the house, which has increased recently. I do not see what is wrong with the bedroom tax, if the government is paying for your housing, and you are living in a house which is too big for you, what is wrong with taxing you for that?

I am an average person, we brought this house 20 years ago for no where near that mark, we got lucky and the area improved and the house prices went up. This tax is forcing people out of their family homes, three grand a year is a huge amount and its unfair charging  the people with large mortgages or people who have simply got lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version