The Street > The Lounge

Gay Marriage

<< < (8/10) > >>

U-238:

--- Quote from: LukeTom on July 03, 2015, 05:14:28 PM --- It comes down to semantics, some people see 'marriage' as having innately religious connotations. Perhaps one of the easier ways of doing it would to simply make civil-partnerships and marriages have the same legal equal footing. Some people say marriage is religious, some say it is legal. Let religion decide what they want to do.

--- End quote ---

I bolded your text that says "some people." The views of "some people" based on what is in a religious book absolutely should not influence what other people can do if it does not harm anyone. And spare me the drivel about gays undermining the sanctity of marriage in the US. I think the 40%+ divorce/remarry rate, which is a much greater fucking sin and and is mentioned about a million more fucking times in the bible than gay marriage, is a little bit  more of an issue to Americas moral code.

I also bolded "let religion decide what they want to do." This is because religion can still decide what they want to do. A devout catholic male does not have to marry another dude. An ultra-conservative christian church does not have to marry two girls.

But why should they have any say whatsoever if people of a different religion (or lack there of) decide marriage is a union between two people that wish to express their love and devotion towards one another INDEPENDENT of gender? They shouldn't, no more than a Muslim should be forced to abide by Christian religious values.

Hank Chinaski:
Wasn't LukeTom the one moaning about his family having to pay a couple grand on their million dollar home, willing to disregard the situation of his fellow citizens as long as he was doing ok?  No surprises here I guess.

ginger:
Tory fucker, that's him.

To cut a long story short, some people have fucking retarded views on the world and nothing will change that. Just do what is right by human standards and let the mouth breathers continue talking to their imaginary friends. They'll all be dead soon.

LukeTom:
All I have been saying is an easier way of doing this would be awarding exactly the same rights etc to homosexual couples if they were in a civil partnership. I don't see why labelling it with 'marriage' is such a big deal for people when it just creates tension with all the religious folk. I am only playing devils advocate here, i don't see why marriage should still be sacred.

Cole:
Because of equality, fuck face. It's like saying "hey guys, you can come to our schools, and businesses and even use our public transit! Buuuuuuuut, you'll need to use different bathrooms and water fountains and also be sat in a different area from the straight people".

It's a big deal because gay people are normal. Why should they settle for a "civil union" when they have the same rights and freedoms as straight people in the same country as them?

If you're genuinely trying to play the devils advocate, you super suck at it. Go cry in your mansion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version