The Street > The Lounge

Apple's iCar or whatever..

<< < (2/10) > >>

condrbkr:
I could definitely see Apple making an Uber but with self driven cars though.

They've been sitting on A LOT of money while churning out run of the mill products for the last decade. Apple plays the future game so saving up for something like this would definitely be sensible.

Prodigal Son:
I think your ascertation of the situation is a little too individualized. I feel like it's going to be intended for Los Gatos and Palo Alto apple employees. I can imagine them having no separation from life and work. A little Tesla bus that is programmed to find its employees at their homes or coffee shops and take them back to the apple campus.

G:

--- Quote from: Prodigal Son on August 08, 2015, 12:18:04 AM ---I think your ascertation of the situation is a little too individualized. I feel like it's going to be intended for Los Gatos and Palo Alto apple employees. I can imagine them having no separation from life and work. A little Tesla bus that is programmed to find its employees at their homes or coffee shops and take them back to the apple campus.

--- End quote ---

Google etc already have buses to pick workers up with coffee etc on board.

My prediction would be based on selling to middle class families and young professionals. Your average person/family/couple in these categories probably spends $3k+ a year on car related stuff (depreciation, interest, servicing, insurance, fuel etc) as a conservative estimate. Apple could have a big slice of this, but only if the product can COMPLETELY replace the car. So you could probably book a more powerful trolley with a trailer if you need to haul stuff or even a full size truck type thing if you are moving house!

For people who don't have a driveway you could probably skip owning a pod and just book one for a journey, and it would come from the same hub that services the trolleys having been thoroughly cleaned by some sort of robot.

This is all technology that is 99% there, it really wouldn't be that much of a leap to make it happen now, but on the timescales of the Auto industry now would be the time to start if it was going to launch in 2020...

:)
G.

MEAT:
It's a big step from making computer boxes and running an online music shop, to fundamentally changing transport and car ownership. That said I don't think you're wrong,  but I don't think they'll succeed.

Prodigal Son:
The real question is how to sell an updated model every year?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version