The Street > The Lounge

Woodworking as a job

(1/3) > >>

Goliath:
I need some advice! I know some of you are into woodworking and carpentry so I hope you can assist me! I recently completed a carpentry/woodworking program at a local college and I totally loved it. With this course that I took, the draw to it was that they said I was guaranteed a spot in the Carpenter's Union (Local 27), which seems like an awesome opportunity.

During the program our classes took place in a woodworking shop and we completed a number of cabinetry, furniture and general woodworking projects. We touched upon basic construction (forming, framing, etc). I knew Local 27 was mainly focused on the construction side of carpentry but I thought there must be some woodworking companies out there that are unionized. However, once I completed the course, got into the union and attended some orientations and union meetings, it became evident that if I wanted to continue woodworking, it would have to be as a hobby. Local 27 told me that if I wanted to work at a woodworking company, my hours wouldn't go towards my apprenticeship and therefor I wouldn't get the benefits of being in the union.

I've worked construction over the past few winters when there is no work at the bike shop. It is definitely a good steady job and the work is not bad at all. However, I don't see it as a career. I can do it, but it isn't for me. I will do it for the time being (although the union has nothing available for at least a year here in Toronto for first year apprentices).

So does anyone know how to get into working in a wood shop? Because the course I took was awesome but misleading. Better yet, does anyone in the GTA know of any places I can apply to or where to go from here?

paranoidmexican:
I don't know much about wood working, but maybe try another town/state for job opportunities that interest you?

lil bawbee:
I dont know where you are but around here ZERO cabinet/ finish woodwork shops are union and probably 50% pay minimum wage. 100% of the union carpenters do framing drywall and concrete forms.

condrbkr:
You ever think about just restoring/renovating old furniture? I have a friend who does that as a side job and he pulls in a good amount of money from time to time just doing that independently.

I think he does small jobs for people looking for his services through craiglist or something but mostly he just buys old artisan furniture thats in eh condition, restores them and triples the price or somethin. It goes without saying his house is in hoarder condition because of all the furniture he didn't sell that takes up a lot of space.

barcodebilly:

--- Quote from: lil bawbee on October 16, 2015, 05:38:33 PM ---I dont know where you are but around here ZERO cabinet/ finish woodwork shops are union and probably 50% pay minimum wage. 100% of the union carpenters do framing drywall and concrete forms.

--- End quote ---

I work for a 180 man usa made cabinet shop that does new construction and we are non union. The majority of our crew (basic training, non motivated complacent people) make 9-10. However if you work your way up to operate our high end machines or become a department manager you can make out decent especially with all of our overtime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version