The Street > The Lounge

Tracing 'stolen' PC files

<< < (2/3) > >>

LukeTom:
Is this in the UK or US. What is it being charged under? In UK i'm sure it is at least theft, if not some larger (i don't think corporate espionage in itself is a crime though?).

Narcoleptic Insomniac:
I'd just open the file and take a picture of the computer screen with my phone. Boom! perfect crime.

jeffro:

--- Quote from: Zoidberg on December 28, 2015, 03:48:45 PM ---Fark, how old was she and how long had she been there?

can you do that with home computers connected up to the same internets?

--- End quote ---

29, 4 years.

I should point out that I work at an advertising/marketing agency, so we're not dealing in state secrets or anything that is going to get someone killed, at worst it's valuable information in the hands of competitors (budgets, business strategies etc) but to the average joe, it won't really mean anything.

Our company are keen to make an example of her though to avoid anyone else pulling the same stunt. Intellectual property theft, I believe.

Bunky:
I work doing Sales/Account Management for an event IT company, and it's absolutely ridiculous the amount of information our nerds can pull out of a network.  Seriously, we can do things like track down to a couple feet peoples movements with our WiFi networks, even if they aren't signed into our network.  Once people sign in we can see all the data they push over the network like pictures and stuff. 

We choose not to do a lot of the things we could because it just seems skeezy, and we don't really have the time for most of the stuff outside the footfall analytics for major sponsor locations when they're paying for it.

How do you guys do your file storage?  Are you sharing it through something like DropBox?  There's some settings in there that might have given her away. 

Alex.:
If I had to guess, IT could probably see someone/something was moving a lot of data from their server and looked into it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version