The Street > The Lounge

currently salmon is worth more than crude oil

<< < (5/7) > >>

ginger:

--- Quote from: Hank Chinaski on January 26, 2016, 05:08:55 PM ---I gotta side with Alaskun on this one. While burning natural gas might be better that says nothing to the earth-ruining extraction methods, carbon footprint from the supply lines, ruining pristine lands with pipelines, not to mention the massive fucking leak in California. People are evacuated, kids having health problems, unknown environmental damage. Just because it's clean and easy at your house doesn't mean it's a clean fuel. Compare that to someone who owns their land, cuts and seasons their own lumber, replants lumber (which actually adds something), and warms their own home for free.
It's like fucking rain barrels in Colorado. They're illegal. The bullshit reason: The water belongs to everyone and you can't steal your neighbors water. Real reason: We want you to buy the water from us instead of collecting it for free.

--- End quote ---

The rain thing is ridiculous, the wood stove thing is not so ridiculous. I see your point re; fossil fuel extraction but if we all reverted back to wood stoves instead of LNG we would be in a much worse position. Ideally, we should ramp up small-scale renewable installations and use an electric stove to have clean air and negate fossil fuels.

alaskun:

--- Quote from: Narcoleptic Insomniac on January 26, 2016, 05:18:20 PM ---Salmon is delicious.

--- End quote ---
I disagree so hard...

--- Quote from: Hank Chinaski on January 26, 2016, 05:08:55 PM ---Just because it's clean and easy at your house doesn't mean it's a clean fuel. Compare that to someone who owns their land, cuts and seasons their own lumber, replants lumber (which actually adds something), and warms their own home for free.

--- End quote ---

THIS

also, there was a 7.something earthquake the other night and  ~4 homes burnt down because of the ruptured gas lines, which they were forced to accept/pay for whether they wanted them installed or not.

Even at their best estimates, the natural gas, when it eventually is all installed/available, is still going to cost more than everything else.  People still have to convert/adapt their homes. They're encroaching on/destroying peoples' properties to bury the pipe, raising taxes, and forcing a more expensive system up our asses, before they even have the logistics settled on, and it's going to be very expensive, and a very negative/destructive experience for a lot of people...

lol tinfoil hat though, right...

ginger:
What town do you live in?

Hank Chinaski:

--- Quote from: ginger on January 26, 2016, 06:08:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hank Chinaski on January 26, 2016, 05:08:55 PM ---I gotta side with Alaskun on this one. While burning natural gas might be better that says nothing to the earth-ruining extraction methods, carbon footprint from the supply lines, ruining pristine lands with pipelines, not to mention the massive fucking leak in California. People are evacuated, kids having health problems, unknown environmental damage. Just because it's clean and easy at your house doesn't mean it's a clean fuel. Compare that to someone who owns their land, cuts and seasons their own lumber, replants lumber (which actually adds something), and warms their own home for free.
It's like fucking rain barrels in Colorado. They're illegal. The bullshit reason: The water belongs to everyone and you can't steal your neighbors water. Real reason: We want you to buy the water from us instead of collecting it for free.

--- End quote ---

The rain thing is ridiculous, the wood stove thing is not so ridiculous. I see your point re; fossil fuel extraction but if we all reverted back to wood stoves instead of LNG we would be in a much worse position. Ideally, we should ramp up small-scale renewable installations and use an electric stove to have clean air and negate fossil fuels.

--- End quote ---

But no one is saying everyone has to revert back to wood stoves.  Just that the people who want to use them and not rely on someone else for their heating should be able to do so. I agree with everything you're saying otherwise.  The only other thing I'll add is that electricity goes out, especially in rural areas with bad weather (aka Alaska) and then you're running a gas generator to power that electric heater.  Power goes out with a wood stove you're still in business.

alaskun:

--- Quote from: ginger on January 26, 2016, 06:20:26 PM ---What town do you live in?

--- End quote ---
fairbanks. the earthquake was further south

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/kenai-families-lose-homes-in-earthquake/article_020d7b3c-c3b6-11e5-8a64-c7fe2f03d6cd.html

--- Quote ---KENAI, Alaska - Vincent Calderon and Carrie Gaethle had just gotten their two children back to bed after being shaken awake by a 7.1 magnitude tremor that rocked the Kenai Peninsula Sunday morning when their house exploded into a mass of blue flames.

"As soon as we got the kids back to sleep, probably about 15, 20 minutes after the earthquake ... it felt like we came a foot off the ground," Calderon said. "The back wall flew off the house, the floors blew off."

..The couple's house on Lilac Lane in Kenai was the first of two that were destroyed by gas explosions and one of four that ended up being burnt to the ground following the earthquake and a gas leak in the area.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Hank Chinaski on January 26, 2016, 06:46:38 PM --- The only other thing I'll add is that electricity goes out, especially in rural areas with bad weather (aka Alaska) and then you're running a gas generator to power that electric heater.  Power goes out with a wood stove you're still in business.

--- End quote ---
bingo

There have been more/longer winter power outages in just the past 3 years than in the 15 I've lived here.  Not having a woodstove means frozen/burst waterlines and dead people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version