The Street > The Lounge

The motorcycle thread

<< < (4/7) > >>

Brooklynrider:
A total-loss oiling system almost never means that the engine actually leaks oil. How often do you see a puddle of oil under a 2-stroke? Now how often do you see an oil leak under a shovelhead? A total-loss oiling system simply means that oil gets consumed during the engine's use and needs to be replenished a lot sooner.

Regardless, Harley stopped using total-loss nearly a century ago. The "misconception" started during the era of the shovelhead, when harleys were notorious for having engine components machined off-spec, bolts loosening due to vibration, or the chain oiling system failing. Don't really see why you're getting upset since you have a sportster, one of their more reliable bikes.

Aesop Rock:

--- Quote from: Brooklynrider on January 19, 2018, 07:42:08 PM ---A total-loss oiling system almost never means that the engine actually leaks oil. How often do you see a puddle of oil under a 2-stroke? Now how often do you see an oil leak under a shovelhead? A total-loss oiling system simply means that oil gets consumed during the engine's use and needs to be replenished a lot sooner.

Regardless, Harley stopped using total-loss nearly a century ago. The "misconception" started during the era of the shovelhead, when harleys were notorious for having engine components machined off-spec, bolts loosening due to vibration, or the chain oiling system failing. Don't really see why you're getting upset since you have a sportster, one of their more reliable bikes.

--- End quote ---

"Let’s rewind to earlier days. Until 1936 (for the overhead-valve bikes) and 1937 (for the side-valves), Harley engines did not have provisions to circulate the oil through the engine more than once. This style of lubrication system is known today as “total loss.” Oil made its way through the engine and then was ejected onto the roadway. This was not exclusive to H-D. It was common for stationary and agricultural engines at the time to expel oil directly onto the ground. This system became impractical as engines advanced, but for the time, it was acceptable practice. In fact, modern two-strokes are still total-loss with regard to the lubricating oil."

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/wtatwta-why-harleys-leak

Of course Shovelheads are gonna leak oil man, things are 30-50 years old. AMF shovels were known to have some issues, but they had more to do with electrical problems than machining tolerances. Ironheads, yeah totally different story, but most issues with Shovels was due to ignorance of the owners and their inability to properly turn a wrench.

I'm not mad, I just hate when people talk about shit they have no idea about.

Brooklynrider:

--- Quote from: Aesop Rock on January 20, 2018, 05:04:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brooklynrider on January 19, 2018, 07:42:08 PM ---A total-loss oiling system almost never means that the engine actually leaks oil. How often do you see a puddle of oil under a 2-stroke? Now how often do you see an oil leak under a shovelhead? A total-loss oiling system simply means that oil gets consumed during the engine's use and needs to be replenished a lot sooner.

--- End quote ---

"Let’s rewind to earlier days. Until 1936 (for the overhead-valve bikes) and 1937 (for the side-valves), Harley engines did not have provisions to circulate the oil through the engine more than once. This style of lubrication system is known today as “total loss.” Oil made its way through the engine and then was ejected onto the roadway. This was not exclusive to H-D. It was common for stationary and agricultural engines at the time to expel oil directly onto the ground. This system became impractical as engines advanced, but for the time, it was acceptable practice. In fact, modern two-strokes are still total-loss with regard to the lubricating oil."

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/wtatwta-why-harleys-leak

Of course Shovelheads are gonna leak oil man, things are 30-50 years old. AMF shovels were known to have some issues, but they had more to do with electrical problems than machining tolerances. Ironheads, yeah totally different story, but most issues with Shovels was due to ignorance of the owners and their inability to properly turn a wrench.

I'm not mad, I just hate when people talk about shit they have no idea about.

--- End quote ---
Come on dude, It was just a joke. Sure there is truth to what you are saying, but Harleys are known for leaking and not everyone who claims that is just uneducated about ancient oiling systems. I ride with many people who own Harleys. Some have reliable shovelheads, others have troublesome twin-cams. Any bike can be reliable if properly cared for but statistically speaking, Harleys leak oil more commonly than other brands and that speaks for itself.

Just to be clear, I'm not someone who hates american bikes. In fact, I will probably be purchasing a shovelhead this year if the right one pops up.

joelite44:
Brooklynrider  I was about to buy that 80 something Virago too, but my neighbor gave it away to his brother. Then no virago for me, then I looked onto the s40's for the price. And I ultimately found a 97' Savage which is what i have now.

Brooklynrider:

--- Quote from: joelite44 on January 22, 2018, 09:59:25 AM ---Brooklynrider  I was about to buy that 80 something Virago too, but my neighbor gave it away to his brother. Then no virago for me, then I looked onto the s40's for the price. And I ultimately found a 97' Savage which is what i have now.

--- End quote ---
Honestly, you probably dodged a bullet. 80s bikes in general are usually super over-complicated which leads to a whole bunch of unnecessary problems. Aside from the starter issues that they are known for, I pulled about 30-40 pounds of useless stuff off including about 40 wires. It is nice having a bike that makes more power than a modern 1200cc one while being half the weight though.

I think you went in the right direction with a single cylinder as a first bike, especially if you plan on wrenching on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version