The Street > The Lounge

The motorcycle thread

<< < (6/7) > >>

Brooklynrider:

--- Quote from: joelite44 on January 29, 2018, 01:42:57 PM ---My motorcycle motor is fully rebuilt with make-a-gasket and no gasket at all.

--- End quote ---
This is usually not a good thing. Liquid gaskets have a tendency to ball up inside the motor and clog oil passages when too much is used. It's not uncommon for people to use liquid gasket instead of paper gaskets to lower the cylinder a fraction of a millimeter, effectively increasing your compression ratio and getting a bit more grunt out of the engine however it has to be done correctly. If the time comes around, I would switch back to regular gaskets.

As for carbs, you have one which makes everything a thousand times easier. As long as you keep your exhaust stock, the carb should need no adjusting other than the mixture adjustment. Once you have that set, your bike should run well all year long. Carb rebuild kits really aren't necessary if you remember to turn the petcock off when storing the bike. I personally throw a bit of Seafoam engine cleaner in the gas tank from time to time and my carbs are pristine.

Clymer manuals are the best! Your first tool purchase should be a torque wrench. As long as you're not heavy handed, you can rebuild an entire motor with a clymer and some patience.

joelite44:
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate people with the same passion I have for these machines. Its amazing how long motorvehicles have come. Motorcycles is something I dreamt of being a part of since I was a little kid, they were just too expensive for me and couldnt gather the correct mind to collect one myself. Now I am 27 and old enough to know these things will kill you if you let them. So ride on!
As a kid i used to see my younger cousins race motocross. I was too hyperactive to convince someone to let me on one so I have had the urge to do so since.  ::)

Cole:
A friend of mine sold me his CBR 125 for dirt cheap. Looking forward to keeping it for a couple months, then getting something bigger once I'm comfortable on a bike again.

joelite44:
That bike is bad! looks nice and they say its funner to ride a slow car fast.

My bike is a total loss system like aesop stated.

Oil is going to the combustion chamber and i need to replace the rings on the piston.

How bad of a job is it? I have a decent sized porch i can dismantle my bike but I have never delt with motors.

Brooklynrider:

--- Quote from: joelite44 on February 13, 2018, 01:53:17 PM ---That bike is bad! looks nice and they say its funner to ride a slow car fast.

My bike is a total loss system like aesop stated.

Oil is going to the combustion chamber and i need to replace the rings on the piston.

How bad of a job is it? I have a decent sized porch i can dismantle my bike but I have never delt with motors.

--- End quote ---
Not terribly hard but requires a few specialty tools. As previously stated, torque wrench is a must when working on a motor and most other parts on a motorcycle. Compression tester or rather a leak-down tester to determine what exactly is out of tolerance to allow oil into the combustion chamber. Feeler gauges to check piston ring gap and to redo the valve clearances once you are finished. In general, engine work is not something that should be done outside especially if it is going to take longer than one day. A nick in a gasket surface or a speck of dirt in the crankcase is all it takes to ruin an engine. Also be prepared to replace gaskets, they usually fall apart when you take a motor apart. NO SANDING of any engine parts whatsoever. If something does need to be cleaned, make sure you use a material that is softer than what you are sanding such as the green scotchbrite pads. Most importantly be patient, it doesnt pay off to rush something and have to do it again later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version